From the gluten free bible by Jax Peters Lowell
(forgive lack of proper capitalization, please.)
*4 cups gf bread, cut into little cubes and lightly toasted
*4 plus 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided (6 Tablespoons total)
*1 cup quarter inch diced onion
*1 cup quarter inch diced celery
*1/3 cup quarter inch diced carrot
*16 large fresh sage leaves
*1/8 teaspoon fresh grated nutmeg
*1 pinch dried thyme leaves
*1/2-3/4 teaspoon coarse salt
*24 grinds fresh black pepper
3/4-1 cup broth (gf vegetable or chicken)
1. Put the bread cubes into a mixing bowl. Melt 4 tablespoons of the butter in a small skillet. saute the onion, celery, and carrot until tender. then lightly mix in the veggies with the bread.
2. using the same skillet, melt the remaining 2 T butter. toss in the sage leaves. over medium heat, brown the butter. the butter will be ready when it has a nutty smell, and the sage leaves begin to crisp and brown. remove the sage leaves and place them on a paper towel to drain.
3. pour the brown butter over the bread mixture. chop the sage leaves and lightly mix in with the bread and veggies. season with nutmeg, thyme, salt and pepper. use just enough broth to moisten the stuffing. if you insist on stuffing it inside the bird, leave the mixture on the dry side. for a separate baked side dish, make it a bit moister.
4. transfer stuffing to an ovenproof casserole and bake at 350 degrees (F) until browned on top.
This is another version of a quick easy dinner using chicken and stuffing.
1 1/4 cup boiling water
4 Tbs butter, melted
1 box stuffing
6 chicken breasts
1 10 3/4 can condensed cream of mushroom soup
1/3 c milk
1 t dried parsley
Mix water and butter. Add stuffing. Mix lightly.
Spoon stuffing along center of 3 quart baking dish. Arrange chicken on each side and sprinkle with paprika. Mix soup, milk, parsley. Pour over chicken. Bake at 400 for 30 minutes.
Creamy chicken, veggies, and stuffing.
1 can 10.75 oz Cream of Celery
1 can 10.75 oz Cream of Potato
1 cup milk
.25 tsp dried thyme leaves, crushed
1/8 tsp black pepper
4 cups cooked cut-up veggies
2 cups cubed cooked chicken or turkey
1.5 cup water
4 Tbs butter or margarine
4 cups Pepperidge Farm Herb Seasoned stuffing
1. Mix soups, milk, thyme, black pepper, veggies, and chicken in a 3 qt shallow baking dish.
2. Heat water and margarine to a boil in a medium saucepan over high heat. Add stuffing. Mix lightly. Spoon stuffing over chicken mixture.
3. Bake at 400*F for 25 minutes or until hot.
I haven’t tried this recipe yet.
Cheesy broccoli, turkey, and stuffing bake.
1.25 cups boiling water
4 Tbs butter or margarine, melted
4 cups Herb Seasoned Stuffing
2 cups cooked broccoli cuts
2 cups cubed cooked turkey or chicken
1 can 10.75 oz Cream of Celery Soup
.5 cup milk
1 cup shredded cheddar
1. Mix water and butter. Add stuffing. Mix lightly.
2. Spoon into 2-quart shallow baking dish. Top with broccoli and turkey.
3. Mix soup, milk, and .5 c cheese and pour over turkey mixture. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
4. Bake at 350*F for 30 minutes or until hot.
I haven’t tried this recipe yet.
Chicken topped with creamy sauce and stuffing!
1 pkg 6 oz Stove top for chicken stuffing
6 boneless chicken breasts
1 can 10.75 oz Cream of Mushroom soup
1 onion, chopped
.5 tsp dried thyme
.5 cup shredded cheddar
1. Preheat oven to 350*F. Prepare stuffing mix as directed on package and set aside.
2. Spray large ovenproof skillet with cooking spray. Add chicken; cook on medium high heat 4 minutes of each side or until browned on both sides. Meanwhile, mix soup, onion, and thyme; spoon over chicken. Top with prepared stuffing; sprinkle with cheese.
3. Bake 20 to 30 minutes or until chicken is cooked through (160*F).