This recipe is from: Beefy Mac – Woman’s Day
- 1 pound elbow macaroni
- 1 pound ground chuck
- 1 large white onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
- 2 cups chopped tomatoes (about 2 medium tomatoes, or use cherry tomatoes halved)
- 1 cup wiped clean and chopped baby bell mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 pound Gouda, shredded
- 1/2 pound sharp cheddar, shredded
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- salt, pepper
- Preheat oven to 350º.
- In a large pot, boil macaroni to just under al dente, drain and set aside.
- In the bottom of the same pot over medium heat sauté the onion and garlic in the olive oil. When the onions become translucent, add the ground chuck, stirring until it’s brown. When the chuck is cooked through, add the cumin, chili powder, cayenne and a dash of freshly ground pepper. Reduce heat to low and gradually add in pasta while stirring constantly. When meat and pasta are mixed, gradually add in the cheeses while continuing to stir. Mix in the milk, then the tomatoes and mushrooms. Stir and transfer to a baking dish.
- Bake, uncovered, for approximately 45 minutes or until cooked through and bubbly.